Tags: Church

encroach – Sydney Picture

Sydney skyline featuring St Andrews Cathedral. Who is encroaching on whom? Is it the spiritual or religion; is it the secular or capitalist economy; or is it nature? Image published by Leonard J Matthews on 2015-02-15 16:00:25 and used under Creative Commons license. Tagged: , Sydney , skyline , city , St Andrews , church…

Boorowa. All the remains of the Shamrock Cottage in Farm St. Built in 1850. The hotel in front has been demolished. The oldest building in Boorowa. – Sydney Picture

Boorowa. Tipperary of the South.Squatters beyond the approved Nineteen Counties settle here in 1828.Their properties were worked with assigned convicts euphemistically called assigned servants! The lands along the Boorowa River were very fertile as they were volcanic soils from an extinct volcano. This squatting era ended in the mid-1840s and when the assignment of convicts…

Young.  Young Railway Station. The railway reached Young from Harden in 1885 when the railway station was built. Now it houses the Information Centre. – Sydney Picture

Some Young History. Like all the areas of the western slopes of NSW this was once the traditional lands of the Wiradjuri Aboriginal people. Their lands covered one of the biggest agricultural regions of Australia. There was little conflict in this region and diseases more than pastoralist action reduced their numbers considerably within a couple…

Portland. The Tyers Street  Presbyterian Church. The nave just visible on the extreme left of the photo was built in 1850. The front part was built later. – Sydney Picture

The fine bay of Portland and nearby Cape Bridgewater were indirectly named by Captain Grant in 1800 on the Brig the Lady Nelson when he explored this part of the coast a year or so before Matthew Flinders and Nicholas Baudin. James Grant was receiving his orders from the Duke of Portland and so Governor…

Junee. St Lukes Anglican Church. Built 1889. Note the unusual ventilators on the roof. – Sydney Picture

Junee. Leopold De Salis was one of the first pioneer squatters in the Junee region in 1845. He named his run Junee but he did not live there. His homestead was Cuppacumbalong near Queanbeyan. He sold his Junee run three years later. It is believed that choo-nee was an Aboriginal word for frog. After the…

Duntryleague House built for a wealthy local Orange businessman in 1876. Now a hotel and function centre in Orange New South Wales Australia. – Sydney Picture

Detour to Duntryleague Golf Club house. The property was part of one of the first land grants in the Orange area in 1834. James Dalton, a prominent Orange merchant purchased the land in 1876 to build a mansion named after his birthplace in Ireland. The house is a good example of mid Victorian splendour with…

Boorowa. One of many  stained glass windows imported from Ireland in 1881 in the Catholic Church. – Sydney Picture

Boorowa. Tipperary of the South.Squatters beyond the approved Nineteen Counties settle here in 1828.Their properties were worked with assigned convicts euphemistically called assigned servants! The lands along the Boorowa River were very fertile as they were volcanic soils from an extinct volcano. This squatting era ended in the mid-1840s and when the assignment of convicts…

Parkes NSW. A reconstructed copy of Moat Hall in Coventry England where Sir Henry Parkes was born. – Sydney Picture

Parkes –the Early Years. Like Forbes the Currajong district (later called Parkes after Sir Henry Parkes the politician and federalist) was first sighted and explored by white men in 1835 when Major Thomas Mitchell explored the areas from Parkes to the Bogan River which flows northwards from here to its junction with the Darling River…

Parkes. Carved detail in stone on the facade of the 1896 built Parkes Courthouse. Architect was Walter Vernon. – Sydney Picture

Parkes –the Early Years. Like Forbes the Currajong district (later called Parkes after Sir Henry Parkes the politician and federalist) was first sighted and explored by white men in 1835 when Major Thomas Mitchell explored the areas from Parkes to the Bogan River which flows northwards from here to its junction with the Darling River…

Parkes. Anglican Church. An Arts and Crafts Gothic revival church 1926. Cost of £14,000.  The most significant building in Parkes architecturally.  It has no arched Gothic windows but it looks Gothic. Architect was Louis Williams – Sydney Picture

Parkes –the Early Years. Like Forbes the Currajong district (later called Parkes after Sir Henry Parkes the politician and federalist) was first sighted and explored by white men in 1835 when Major Thomas Mitchell explored the areas from Parkes to the Bogan River which flows northwards from here to its junction with the Darling River…

Junee. St Jospehs Catholic Church built in red brick in 1929 with twin towers. – Sydney Picture

Junee. Leopold De Salis was one of the first pioneer squatters in the Junee region in 1845. He named his run Junee but he did not live there. His homestead was Cuppacumbalong near Queanbeyan. He sold his Junee run three years later. It is believed that choo-nee was an Aboriginal word for frog. After the…

Grenfell. The Anglican Church and tower built in 1877. It ha s a lych gate at the entrance. – Sydney Picture

Grenfell. The roaming of the local Aboriginal people became curtailed from 1833 when the first white pastoralist moved into the Grenfell district. He was John Wood squatting beyond the legal areas. It was one of Wood’s shepherds who discovered gold in 1866. He was named Cornelius O’Brien and he registered the find in Young and…

Former Methodist Church – Penrith NSW – Sydney Picture

Former Methodist Church – Penrith, New South Wales. Built 1861. Now a restaurant called King Henry’s Court, and previously the offices of an accounting firm. Located on Henry St. Image published by sv1ambo on 2011-03-24 00:53:09 and used under Creative Commons license. Tagged: , Former , Methodist , Church , Penrith , New , South…

Boorowa had a council from 1888. These Municipal Chambers were bu8yilt in 1909 and used from 1910. – Sydney Picture

Boorowa. Tipperary of the South.Squatters beyond the approved Nineteen Counties settle here in 1828.Their properties were worked with assigned convicts euphemistically called assigned servants! The lands along the Boorowa River were very fertile as they were volcanic soils from an extinct volcano. This squatting era ended in the mid-1840s and when the assignment of convicts…

Forbes. The Presbyterian Church near Victoria Square. Built in 1877. – Sydney Picture

Forbes. Almost thirty years after the Botany Bay settlement was founded the first white explorer Surveyor General George Evans found the Lachlan River south of Bathurst. That was in 1815 as Bathurst was being established as the first white settlement beyond the Blue Mountains. He named the river after Governor Lachlan Macquarie. The river running…